Patient Forum

The CyberKnife Patient Forum is designed to provide a place for people who have been diagnosed with cancer, their family and friends, to exchange useful information and provide support to one another. The Forum may also help people find answers to questions they have about the CyberKnife treatment experience. Accuray strives to facilitate these exchanges and encourage discussions. Recently we have experienced some aggressive or inappropriate spam postings. We are diligently working to resolve this issue and thank you in advance for your patience.

Birgit Fleurent, Chief Marketing Officer, Accuray Incorporated

Print 
Newly Diagnosed -- With Questions
SteveK364
Posted: Tuesday, July 10, 2018 4:51 PM

Hello, I was recently diagnosed with PCa (see my stats below) and of all the treatment options I've read about, CK seems the most palatable for me. With that in mind, I have a few questions and would appreciate your input. 1. Based on my stats below, would I be a good candidate for CK? 2. There is a CK facility near me in Ann Arbor, Michigan, which has been doing CK for about 11 years, but they only do about 10-15 prostates a year. Is this enough prostate-related experience, or should I seek out a facility with more prostate treatment experience under their belt? Does it make a difference? 3. A friend says I should get a second opinion on my diagnosis, but I ask myself ... why? Is another doctor going to say I don't have prostate cancer? Not sure I see the value in this. What do you think? 4. If I'm not accepted as a CK patient, I was thinking of going with Brachytherapy. Is this a wise decision? 5. Some folks at my PCa support group said I should also get an MRI. Is that really necessary? Thanks in advance for your valuable input! Age: 63 PSA: 3.2 (3 years ago: 1.6) 2 of the 12 samples showed cancer: 1 spot at 5% cancer, the other at 30%. Stage: 1 (The doctor didn't want to apply a number to it and preferred the term "early" but said technically it would be "1" -- or maybe "2") Gleason: 7 (1 spot was 3+4 at 80%/20%, the other was 4+3 at 20%/80%) Cancer is "localized" Aggressiveness: Intermediate. Treatment recommendations: Surgery or radiation.

SteveK364

DXM
Posted: Saturday, July 14, 2018 10:34 AM

I can't imagine that you wouldn't be a candidate. We have men in our support group that had worse conditions than you, had Cyberknife, and are doing fine. After Cyberknife my PSA after 18 months is undetectable. I had a Gleason 4+5 in one tumor detected by a saturation biopsy. That tumor got a higher dose than the rest of the gland. I had NO side effects from the treatment, which is unusual, but in others in the group, they were very mild. The quality of the process depends on how well the oncologist and radiation physicist have programmed the machine for your treatment. Mine was done by Dr. Kelley Simpson at Colorado Cyberknife in Lafayette CO.

DAMorris
SteveK364
Posted: Saturday, July 14, 2018 5:12 PM

Hi DA, Thanks for the reply. Glad you're dong well. I've heard much praise for CyberKnife, and little negative news. I wonder why it isn't more mainstream and why my urologist never even mentioned it? It seems very effective, and as you say, with few--if any--side effects. Did you consider any other treatments? My backup plan was Brachy, but I'm hoping I can move forward with CK. The CK center near me recently reviewed my medical records and wants to meet with me for a consultation. Thanks again for the reply. Steve

SteveK364

Jump to different Forum...