Patient Forum

The CyberKnife Patient Forum is designed to provide a place for people who have been diagnosed with cancer, their family and friends, to exchange useful information and provide support to one another. The Forum may also help people find answers to questions they have about the CyberKnife treatment experience. Accuray strives to facilitate these exchanges and encourage discussions. Recently we have experienced some aggressive or inappropriate spam postings. We are diligently working to resolve this issue and thank you in advance for your patience.

Birgit Fleurent, Chief Marketing Officer, Accuray Incorporated

Print 
Whether 3rd time CK treatment works.
Mr. Zheng
Posted: Wednesday, September 19, 2018 7:42 PM

Hi Dr. Buddy Medbery, Greetings from China. I want to consult one question about the CK treatment, and if you could not replied please introduce the CK center contact, thanks. My farther in law has been treated by CK on the lung cancer for two times, in Aug. 2013 and Oct. 2015, and till now he is still in well status. During the CT checking in Sep. 2018 the doctor here said the tumor size doesn't have significantly changes, but the density looks higher. So the doctor suggest to have some kind of treatment, this doctor is not from CK treatment center just the Cancer center in the hospital. Now my question is, 1)Whether we need to do a PET to confirm the cancel cell still alive or not, since it's already 5 years since 2013, but no significant changes on the tumor size. 2) Whether possible to do the 3rd time treatment on the same position, I saw the response in the forum if the CK not control the tumor in the 1st time maybe not works for 2nd time, but in my father's case it works well. The only concern is whether the 3rd time will have same effect, whether it has the risk of produce Inflammation. Thank you very much for your response, and I hope you have opportunity to tourist in Hangzhou, the Paradise city in China which also holds the G20 conference, and have the company like Alibaba. thanks Raymond
We all expect the better life and struggling well.
radsrus
Posted: Thursday, September 20, 2018 4:24 AM

I would recommend a PET scan. If the SUV is high (over about 5) the re-treatment could be considered. WE only did that once or twice but it was safe and effective in at least one case. They should not reduce the dose.

Clinton A. Medbery, III, M.D. Southwest Radiation Oncology buddy@swrads.org
Mr. Zheng
Posted: Friday, September 21, 2018 8:38 AM

The tumor size is 3cmx2cm, BED85.6 Gy in 5 times , is this dose reasonable?

radsrus
Posted: Friday, September 21, 2018 10:33 AM

Our standard dose is 20 Gy times three

Mr. Zheng
Posted: Monday, October 08, 2018 9:28 AM

Hi Radsrus The PET CT has been done and result as following: The tumor in right lung now size is 4.5x2.8cm SUVMax 6.1, compares to year 2013 its a bit bigger. and there is another one in mediastinal lymph nodes, size 0.9 x 0.6cm, Suvmax 5.4. May I consult that which Gy is suitable in 3rd time treatment, its very important to us since I have learned in some case radiation pneumonitis cause serious problem. My farther is 67 years old and left lung has operations in 2010. Personally he dont want to do chemotherapy,and there is no Molecular targeted drug suitable to him. So Cyber Knife is the only choice to save the life at the moment. Anyhow, appreciate for it. Thanks for answering the question of Gy volume.

radsrus
Posted: Monday, October 08, 2018 10:59 AM

I would not re-treat in this case because of the mediastinal node involvement.

Mr. Zheng
Posted: Monday, October 08, 2018 2:18 PM

so have to do chemotherapy?

Mr. Zheng
Posted: Monday, October 08, 2018 3:43 PM

mediastinal node involvement normally means stage III or IV that should be the reason? the exactly description is mediasrinal node near the hilus of the lung has problem. Considering from the time that tumor found in 2013 even now is late stage its not surprised, but since two times treatment by CK generally speaking its still well controlled. Does it possible to use CK + Chemotherapy?

radsrus
Posted: Monday, October 08, 2018 4:09 PM

I would probably start with the chemotherapy. If good response, could consider treatment as you planned. If not, then CK won't help

Jump to different Forum...